Carlo Ancelotti may be taking to the Stamford Bridge dugout for the last time when they face Newcastle
- News: Old Trafford defeat irrelevant – Ancelotti
- Preview: The party at the Park: United set to clinch title No. 19
- News: Terry calls on Chelsea to stick with Ancelotti
Carlo Ancelotti says he will “find another solution without problem” if he is sacked as manager at the end of the season and said the Chelsea players would carry on regardless.
Ancelotti delivered the Double last season, but the club’s disappointing performances in the Champions League have led to speculation over his position and many believe their failure to secure the Premier League title will be the final straw for Roman Abramovich.
It means Sunday’s game at home to Newcastle could be Ancelotti’s last at Stamford Bridge but he said: “I don’t want to think about it being my last [home] game. I am focused to put the best team out, to win, to say thanks to our fans.
“They gave us fantastic support and it’s not been an easy season for them. It doesn’t matter if it’s the last or not. We have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season. I don’t know what is going to happen about my future, but I’m not nervous. I’m quiet. I’m calm.
“I hope to stay – I’ve said a lot of times – but if something’s changed, I will find another solution without problem.”
Captain John Terry this week said Ancelotti retained his full support but, even though he appears to have a strong bond with many of the players, he does not feel they would be unduly affected by his exit.
“I think that I have a very good relationship with the players, but I don’t think it would be a problem for next season if I’m not here,” he said. “I hope, obviously, to stay here, but there may be another coach and they’ll have the same relationship.
“We’re speaking about very professional players, players with a lot of experience. Every coach who was here in the past had a good relationship with the players. They gave, all the time, their best.”
There have been reports that Ancelotti had been involved in a bust-up with right-back Jose Bosingwa, who will miss the final two games of the season with a knee injury, but the Italian denied that was the case.
“I read that Bosingwa had an argument with me – he didn’t have an argument,” he said. “I didn’t keep him out of the squad because he made a mistake against United [in the Champions League]. If he was not involved in the game, it was just for his behaviour, not his mistake.”
It has also been suggested that David Luiz will be dropped for the game against Newcastle after his early error allowed Manchester United to take the lead in last week’s crunch title match.
“I think that he was not responsible for the defeat,” Ancelotti said. “It was a collective mistake, not individual. I was a little bit angry against him, but he doesn’t have to be afraid about this. He is a fantastic player.
“The defender has to stay focused for 90 minutes, from the beginning to the end. He is very young. He has to improve on his focus.”